Specifications or simply abbreviated specs, are the specific requirements that a material, service or product satisfies or has to satisfy. Any product, service or a material that fails to meet a given specification is said to be out of specification. In most instances, they are technical standard type. Any organization including those belonging to the private and public can develop a technical specification. For example a small group corporation (consortium), a wide industry corporation (trade associations), nation government corporations (military, national institutes and laboratories, and regulatory agencies), societies or standards/quality control institutions (ISO) are some of the organizations which are more concern on the technical specs (Vie, 2010).
An organization can refer to the specifications of another company, in a system known as the reference, call out or cite. Notably, these specs may be made mandatory if a government or an institution (business contact) decides to adopt them. A data sheet or a specification sheet is a common technical communication denoting and describing the characteristics of any time or products in a particular technical communication. This sheet can either be published by the manufacturer to enable users choose a product or to assist them in the actual usage and utilizations of the product (Vie, 2010).
In business, manufacturing and engineering, it’s critical and crucial for the suppliers, buyers and the end users of a material, service or product to digest and agree on the relevant requirements and specifications. Subsequently, a standard procurement document type often referenced by a contact is what constitutes a specification and it specifies all the specific requirements needed for the intended product, service, or material for trade (Hally and Mike, 2005). These specifications may primarily spelled out by a standard organizations, agencies of the government, corporations, trade associations, etc. the outlined product specifications do not necessarily approve the products’ correctness. The stamping or verification of an item against given specifications do not qualify that product for any given specific use. The individuals using the items (trade unions, engineers, etc) or those who specify these items (code builders, government, industries, etc) are responsible in considering the choice of the available specifications, correctly specify, enhance compliance, as well as the correct usage of the item. The suitability verification is necessary in most instances.
Part 1: Need Identification and Specification
To identify the actual specification the buyer on an item needs, the following questions can be used as guideline:
- What title description, identifier, number, etc. of specifications would you require for your computer?
- To indicate the product originality, ownership and the document copyright, what kind of a logo or trademark would you prefer?
- Will you kindly table for me the content of the computer of your choice only if the document list is long?
- Which people, offices, or agencies would you like to link with our standard specifications in terms of specification deviations and updates?
- What are the extents, scope, or importance of these specifications in regards to the intended use of this computer software and hardware?
- There some terminologies and abbreviations used ii specification of the product, would you kindly define them for clarity so as to clearly and preciously understand the specification?
- Which test methodologies would have you preferred the product to have been subjected to for the specification measurement (Vie, 2010)?
- Would you please show by drawing, a sample photograph or through a technical illustration, the hardware your interest in?
- From which company or manufacturer would like us to contact for the supply for either software or hardware? Only if you intend to be supplied by different companies for software and a different one for hardware.
- What are the certification requirements you would need from these companies?
- How will would you wish these items to supplied to? In as parts or already assembled units?
- In their documentation, should the specification enhancement person or agency be included?
- What are the quality inspections, quality control, and quality acceptance requirements would you prefer for both the hardware and the software to have been subjected to (Godfrey, 1999)?
Part 2: RFP
The customers need standard computers whose specifications are necessary and relevant to the small businesses. The customers need two computer types and these include the laptop and desktop. Most of the customers do will not need the computers with sound mixers, CAD programs, or cry kid games. The processor units preferred by the customers are that of Dual Code Intel Pentium processor, with the minimum memory of six gagger bytes and a frequency of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (Art & Sciences Computing). A hard disc drives of 640GB SATA drive, the video memory card of 512MB PCl with DVL express video card. The computers to be supplied should also have Optical drive of 16X Max DVD+/-RW, which combines the dual layer write capability, and the drive. Additional features should include the inter-net build, effective but numerous USB ports. Additionally, the installation of a “Home Premium Windows Seven” software is very necessary. The computer with these specs also called a pc (personal computer) will be availed to the customers at a price of $1, 6000. Very few customers will come for the Apple Mac. This computer have different specs and I will recommend that a 21.5” iMac of 4GB Random Access Memory (RAM), a hard disc drive of 1Tb and a of three years protection plan to be sold to the customers at a price of $1,688.00 (Art & Sciences Computing).
The portable computers easily referred to the laptops are easily portable and their specifications largely influence their prices. The following specifications are the specifications to be considered for the supply since they are the customers’ combinations. Their processor unit Intel® Core TM 2Duo processor of 2.53 GHz, memory of 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, and it should have a hard disc drive memory of 500GB SATA drive. The minimum numbers of USB ports expected are three with both wireless and internet built. They should have an inbuilt video graphic accelerator drive and a monitor of size 15”. The laptop should as well have an optical drive of 8X Max DVD +/-RW drives combined with capability double layer write. Other features the customer are expecting in these portable computer include the sound system, Ethernet as well as the wireless capability with the already installed Home premium window seven operating system. The computer with the above specs and a portable one with a three years warrant should be should to the customers at a price of $2198 for the Mac-Book and $1,900 for the Pc brand (Hally and Mike, 2005). The prices of these computers may be reduced by rubbishing the warrant, using an external video chard as well as opting to use a smaller hard disc or a much lesser RAM. The Mac computers have almost all the specs above thus the customer highly require the Mac manufactured computers (The manufacturer and /or Prairie View A&M University).
Part 3: Timeline of Tasks and Activities
First two months: Hiring the seventy five new customer service representatives
Next two months: Carrying out research to determine the customers’ software and hardware specification requirements
Three months: training the customer service representatives
One month: making the clients specs with the companies
One month: purchasing of the relevant computers to the customers specs as well as matching the company standards.