- Knowledge management in both companies was differently organized that when they merged it was difficult to use one model.
- They had varying budgets for knowledge management funds.
- Their organizational structures were varied.
Knowledge culture at Ernst and young
- Knowledge management at Ernst and young highly structured into four compartments.
- The was knowledge clustered in teams based on their areas of expertise.
- The knowledge was internally shared through their Kweb while Eyinfolink gave access to external knowledge .
Knowledge culture at Cap Gemini
- More decentralized and less complicated.
- Easily accessible since their access portals were personalized .
- Cap Gemini university served as their innovation and transmission center since their staff could share their knowledge .
- The company had a virtual network that was accessible to their entire staff creating a sharing platform.
Success factors in E&Y km strategy.
- Strong team work fostering high contribution.
- Technical platform that provided easier access to knowledge their global workforce through the Kweb.
- Eyinfolink provided an easier link to external knowledge.
- Virtual collaboration and knowledge structured according to the area of expertise.
- Their organized knowledge was classified and named for easier access.
- Larger presences in the global platform therefore enlarging their information sources and making the company more diversified.
Disadvantages of Ernst and young knowledge structure
- Knowledge management at Ernst and young was structured into four compartments therefore complicating the process.
- The process was highly centralized thus the employees found making contributions complicated.
- The four centers of knowledge management made the process long therefore lowering the staffs contributions.
Advantages of the Cap Gemini's knowledge structure
- The Gemini's university was responsible for innovation and transmission of knowledge.
- Knowledge Galaxy the intranet tool that was used as a platform for knowledge sharing as well as a virtual collaboration tool provided a less complicated platform.
- Their technical platform was easier and less centralized.
Disadvantages of the Cap Gemini's knowledge structure
- Their organized knowledge was not classified or named.
- The company was only present in twenty countries and 80% of their business was in Europe therefore their knowledge bank was less diversified.
- Their knowledge bank had less information and therefore less knowledge.
How to export km from CG to E&Y
- Cap Gemini's knowledge access was simplified and for easier access the knew company should adopt this structure.
- Contributions to their knowledge bank were easy fostering easier and democratic contribution.
- Knowledge innovations to be coordinated through the cap Gemini's university.
Advise for the center for business knowledge
- CBK Served as the knowledge bank for Ernst and young but charged for their resource to the new company on a contract base.
- The new company should renew the contract until knowledge transfer to their new entity is complete.
- The new company to ensure that the knowledge in the CBK is transferred to the galaxy before terminating the contract.
- Since the technical platform for cap Gemini was more easily accessible than the highly centralized system in Ernest and young the new company should adopt the former platform.
- Cap Gemini technical platform also allowed a higher contribution environment to their knowledge bank the system should therefore be made the preference. Case application to present business situations.
- Businesses merging to enlarge and diversify their market presences.
- Reduction of inherent risks due to diversified business activities.
- Increasing profitability by improving the best practices through accumulation of knowledge.
- Increasing the human capital and hence increasing the knowledge capital.